Ghana’s Finance Minister, Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson, has ordered sweeping investigations and immediate policy changes after the interception of 18 articulated trucks allegedly involved in a massive transit diversion scheme that could have cost the state over GH¢85 million in revenue.
Dr. Forson disclosed on Friday that he had visited the Akanu and Aflao border posts following the Wednesday night operation by the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA).
According to him, the trucks had been declared as goods in transit to Niger but were moving without the mandatory Customs Human Escorts required under Ghana’s transit protocols.
“The Ghana Revenue Authority, through its Customs Division, intercepted eighteen articulated trucks declared as goods in transit to Niger,” Dr. Forson stated. “Intelligence and field surveillance established that these trucks were moving without the mandatory Customs Human Escorts.”
The trucks were reportedly released from the Akanu Border Post for transit through the Eastern Corridor, with Kulungugu designated as the exit point to Niger under Bill of Entry Number 80226125039.
The declared cargo comprised 44,055 packages weighing 879,860 kilograms.
12 Trucks Impounded, 6 on the Run
Out of the 18 trucks, 12 have so far been impounded. Eleven are currently secured at the Tema Transit Yard for detailed inspection and legal processing. One truck overturned while allegedly attempting to evade interception, spilling its cargo. The remaining six trucks are being actively pursued by authorities.
Initial suspended duties and taxes were assessed at GH¢2.6 million. However, post-interception examinations revealed what the Finance Minister described as “material discrepancies” in declared unit values, tariff classifications and weights.
“These irregularities significantly understated the tax liability,” Dr. Forson said.
Following reassessment, the revised suspended revenue exposure now stands at a staggering GH¢85,306,578.33.
“Systemic Control Weaknesses and Human Complicity”
Preliminary findings, the Minister revealed, point to deeper institutional failings.
“Preliminary findings point to systemic control weaknesses and human complicity,” he stated, adding that he has directed the GRA to undertake comprehensive investigations without delay.
“Any Customs officer found culpable will face prompt disciplinary action in accordance with the law. Criminal investigations will also extend to importers and clearing agents where evidence supports prosecution. The full rigours of the law will be applied,” Dr. Forson warned.
The impounded goods, he noted, will be auctioned strictly in line with applicable laws.
Immediate Policy Shifts
In response to what he described as an abuse of Ghana’s transit regime, Dr. Forson announced three immediate measures:
- All land transit of cooking oil has been prohibited. Such consignments must now be routed exclusively through Ghana’s seaports.
- All transactions originating from land collection points will be subjected to enhanced monitoring, tracking and strict compliance enforcement.
- Immediate commencement of disciplinary measures and legal prosecution of Customs officers found culpable in similar cases.
“Every Cedi Matters”
Dr. Forson underscored government’s determination to protect state revenue and local industry.
“Government remains resolute in safeguarding local industry and jobs. We will not allow Ghana’s customs regime to be exploited to undermine domestic revenue mobilisation and national development,” he said.
“Every cedi matters in our collective effort to fund national priorities.”
The unfolding investigations are expected to test the robustness of Ghana’s customs controls and could expose wider gaps in the transit monitoring system if the suspected diversion scheme is confirmed.
Source: www.kumasimail.com






























































