Ghana’s Finance Minister, Dr Ato Forson, has ordered criminal investigations into customs officers and importers allegedly involved in a transit diversion scheme that could cost the state more than 85 million cedis in lost revenue.
In a statement posted on Facebook on Friday, Dr Forson said he had visited the Akanu and Aflao border posts after the interception of 18 articulated trucks declared as goods in transit to Niger.
According to the minister, the trucks were intercepted on Wednesday night by the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA). They had been declared as carrying 44,055 packages weighing 879,860 kilograms and were being transported under a designated transit arrangement through the Eastern Corridor, with exit at Kulungugu en route to Niger.
However, intelligence and field surveillance reportedly established that the trucks were moving without the mandatory Customs Human Escorts required under Ghana’s transit protocols.
Twelve of the 18 trucks have so far been impounded, Dr Forson said. Eleven are being held at the Tema Transit Yard for inspection and investigation, while one truck overturned while allegedly attempting to evade interception, spilling its cargo. The remaining six trucks are being pursued.
Initial suspended duties and taxes on the consignment were assessed at 2,619,748.81 Ghana cedis. But post-interception examinations revealed discrepancies in declared unit values, tariff classifications and weights, the minister said.
He added that the revised suspended revenue exposure now stands at 85,306,578.33 cedis.
“Preliminary findings point to systemic control weaknesses and human complicity,” Dr Forson said, directing the GRA to undertake comprehensive investigations without delay.
He warned that any customs officer found culpable would face prompt disciplinary action in accordance with the law. Criminal investigations will also extend to importers and clearing agents where evidence supports prosecution.
“The full rigours of the law will be applied,” he said.
Dr Forson said the impounded goods would be auctioned in line with applicable laws.
In response to what he described as an abuse of the transit regime, the minister announced immediate measures, including a ban on all land transit of cooking oil. Such consignments must now be routed exclusively through Ghana’s seaports, he said.
He also directed that all transactions originating from land collection points be subjected to enhanced monitoring and strict compliance enforcement. Disciplinary and legal action against customs officers implicated in similar cases will begin promptly, he added.
The government, Dr Forson said, remained committed to protecting local industry and safeguarding domestic revenue mobilisation.
“We will not allow Ghana’s customs regime to be exploited to undermine domestic revenue mobilisation and national development. Every cedi matters in our collective effort to fund national priorities,” he said.
Source: www.kumasimail.com




























































