The Government of Ghana has confirmed that eight Ghanaian nationals have died following a terrorist attack in Titao, in northern Burkina Faso, and announced new travel guidelines for citizens traveling to high-risk areas within the sub-region.
In a press release issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the government said the attack occurred on Feb. 14, 2026, and initially claimed the lives of seven members of the Ghana National Tomatoes Traders and Transporters Association. The victims were reportedly engaged in lawful trading activities in the Titao area when they were attacked.
A later update confirmed the death of an eighth Ghanaian, who had been among four compatriots receiving medical treatment for serious injuries sustained in the incident.
President John Mahama and the Government of Ghana conveyed what the statement described as “profound commiserations” to the families and loved ones of the victims. The government also condemned the attack, calling it a “mindless act of terror,” and expressed solidarity with the government and people of Burkina Faso.
The statement underscored the need for strengthened regional security cooperation, noting that Ghana has consistently called for a new collective approach to addressing security threats in the region. It referenced discussions at last month’s High-Level Consultative Conference on Regional Cooperation and Security hosted by President Mahama.
Medical Evacuation Underway
The government said it had arranged for the immediate medical evacuation of all injured Ghanaian victims from Burkina Faso. The Ghana Air Force is conducting the airlift, with the victims expected to arrive in Ghana later Tuesday.
Ghana’s Ambassador to Burkina Faso and embassy staff are maintaining direct contact with the injured nationals, according to the statement. The government also acknowledged the cooperation of Burkinabe authorities in facilitating the evacuation and related interventions.
New Travel Advisory Measures
In response to the attack, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced new travel guidelines for Ghanaians traveling to areas of concern within the sub-region.
Ghanaians intending to undertake essential travel to high-risk areas have been advised to first contact the Ministry or Ghanaian embassies accredited to those territories for guidance.
Citizens already residing in jurisdictions where violent extremist attacks have been recorded are urged to restrict movement, maintain regular communication with Ghanaian embassies, provide emergency contact details, and ensure their identification documents are readily accessible to expedite consular assistance when needed.
Ghana’s embassies and high commissions in selected jurisdictions have been placed on high consular alert.
The government said it is closely monitoring the situation and remains in contact with relevant authorities to safeguard the welfare of its citizens. It assured the public that further updates would be provided as necessary.
Ghanaians in distress or requiring urgent consular assistance have been advised to contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through designated emergency telephone numbers and email addresses provided in the statement.
Source :www.kumasimail.com





























































