The High Court in Accra has directed the Attorney General’s Department to file its response to a bail application filed by lawyers for the Bono Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC, by the close of Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
The court subsequently adjourned the hearing of the bail application to Thursday, May 21, 2026.
Abronye DC is currently on remand following an order by the Circuit Court in connection with ongoing investigations into alleged misinformation and offensive public statements.
At proceedings on Wednesday, Assistant State Attorney (ASA) Grace Delali Tali requested a short adjournment to allow the Republic adequate time to respond to the bail motion.
According to her, the prosecution needed time to consult investigators and properly familiarise itself with the details of the case before filing its response.
“Our instructions are for a very short date to enable the Republic to appropriately respond to the motion,” she told the court.
However, former Attorney-General Godfred Yeboah Dame, who led the legal team for Abronye DC, opposed the request, describing it as unnecessary and procedurally flawed.
He argued that the prosecution had already been served with the application on May 14, 2026, giving the State sufficient time to prepare its response.
“The record will show that the Republic, which is in custody of the accused, was served with this application six clear days before today’s proceedings,” he stated.
Mr Dame further stressed that the matter before the court was a bail application and not a substantive trial requiring extensive consultations with investigators.
He also raised concerns about the rights and health condition of the accused person.
“It is not in dispute that the rights and liberties of the accused person are in issue. Even his health is endangered,” he argued, urging the court to proceed with the hearing of the application.
In response, the ASA maintained that although the State had received the application on May 14, the legal computation amounted to only three clear days.
She added that the nature of the case made consultations with investigators necessary before the Republic could adequately respond.
Presiding judge, Justice Abdul-Baasit, said the court had considered both the rights of the accused person and the request by the prosecution.
“I’m obliged to grant the request of the Republic,” the judge ruled, directing the Attorney General’s Department to file its response by the close of day.
The case has been adjourned to Thursday, May 21, 2026, for hearing of the bail application.
Source: www.kumasimail.com






























































