Ghana’s Attorney-General has announced plans to appeal the Court of Appeal’s decision acquitting former Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) Chief Executive Officer, Sedina Attionu Tamakloe, of all charges brought against her.
In a press release issued on Thursday, the Attorney-General’s Office said it had directed the Director of Public Prosecutions to immediately file a notice of appeal at the Supreme Court, along with an application for a stay of execution of the Court of Appeal’s judgment pending the outcome of the appeal.
The Attorney-General’s decision follows a ruling by the Court of Appeal that cleared Ms. Tamakloe of multiple criminal charges arising from her tenure as the head of MASLOC. According to the Attorney-General’s Office, the former CEO had faced 78 counts, including conspiracy to steal, stealing, conspiracy to cause financial loss to the State, causing financial loss to the State, causing loss to public property, improper payment of public funds, unauthorized commitments resulting in financial obligations to the Government, money laundering, and breaches of the Public Procurement Act.
Ms. Tamakloe was previously tried and convicted in absentia by the High Court (Financial Division 2), where she was sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment after being found guilty. The prosecution had opposed her appeal, arguing in written submissions that it lacked merit and should be dismissed.
Despite the Court of Appeal’s decision, the Attorney-General said the Republic remains confident in its case and believes the Supreme Court will overturn the ruling. The Office also reaffirmed its commitment to due process, stating that the appeal would be pursued in accordance with the law.
The Supreme Court is expected to determine both the application for a stay of execution and the substantive appeal once the necessary processes have been filed.
Source: www.kumasimail.com































































